Saturday, April 21, 2018

Mothshade's Excellent 0D&D Adventure (Part Three of Three)

Not that I didn't do my best for the first Avremier booklet, but once people start giving me money, I feel a certain obligation to give them value for it - especially when strangers send me money entirely on faith. That obligation has led me to devote all my spare time to this project. I've taught myself publishing and printing. I've produced four volumes on a tight schedule and seen them shipped across the world. When the fifth volume is done, I have a production schedule that will take me through the next five years - and beyond. 

This is what the OSR RPG community has done to/for me. I chose the 0E format for nostalgia and for simplicity. I stumbled into a market for it, quite unexpectedly. Now, I am a fledgling indy OSR publisher. All of this has come out of love for the game, and a drive to create and share. Money or recognition were never on the radar at the start.  
 
Avremier will continue. There is far too much material to be covered in five small booklets. There is much more to come. Plus, I have other projects that people have been anticipating for years now. The feeling of obligation to those who have supported this for so many years is overwhelmingly strong. With the warm and enthusiastic welcome Mothshade Concepts has received from new friends made in the community, the drive to produce more material is akin to a tidal wave. 

For now, Mothshade Concepts is a one-bug operation. Requests for Avremier D20 or Avremier 5E have been met with regretful "maybes." Until I am Mothshade full-time, there just isn't any way to produce more than I already am. So, Mothshade Concepts remains an OSR publisher for now. To be honest, I'm not unhappy about that. 

Avremier is just a setting. I've run Avremier games using B/X, 1E, 2E, 3.0, 3.5, 3.75 and 5E rules. Now that Avremier is in publication, I've realized one lifelong dream. I've been a player in an Avremier game - not the DM! Other players have participated in Avremier adventures - where I wasn't the DM...hell, I wasn't even present! My lifelong campaign setting is no longer just mine. To adequately describe the feeling of excitement and contentment would be beyond the scope of this blog. 

0E Dungeons & Dragons has done this for me. The OSR community has allowed me to become Mothshade Concepts - to share my lifelong love, and some of my fondest dreams. Whatever happens next, I am content.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I could play some part (regardless how small) in helping you realize that lifelong dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much more than small. I've not finished being grateful.

      Delete
  2. Avremier is simply amazing! :-) Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful to hear you say so. I really appreciate it.

      Delete