Saturday, April 21, 2018

Mothshade's Excellent 0D&D Adventure (Part One of Three)

This year, for 0E RPG Appreciation Day, I (as Mothshade Concepts) have been invited to contribute to the observances. It seems that, during the development of my Avremier 0E project, I've managed to offer a significant contribution to our hobby community. Color me thrilled beyond my wildest expectations. Truly. 



This all began a few years back with a sudden passion to revisit and examine the first version of the Dungeons & Dragons game. The "collector's reprints" were being released, but I found them insufficient for my needs. I was going for historical accuracy, so I pursued the original booklets and gathered a complete collection. From there, I set about to compile and edit a "compleat volume" of OD&D rules for my own reference. The idea was to teach myself the rules (having started playing with the Moldvay-Marsh-Cook B/X game) from a historical perspective, and see if I could actually complete such a project - in preparation for the Avremier 0E work to come. The intent was for a three-volume set that presented every relevant 0D&D reference I could find - from Men & Magic, Monsters & Treasure, The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures, Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, Gods Demigods & Heroes, The Strategic Review, and The Dragon. Each book would be compiled and edited for clarity and completion - not changing the rules or presenting any personal bias of my own. Just a cyclopedia of everything I felt worthy of inclusion. As far as I knew at the time, no one else had done this. Also, I wasn't interested in a clone of 0E. 

Flushed with modest success, but exhausted from research, cross-referencing, compilation and editing, I published a free PDF (not having contributed any original material) of my "Compleat Men & Magic" for the use and abuse of anyone that cared to have it. Though two more volumes are obviously in the works, I found the need to diverge from my intended path to realize a different concept. 

This began the Avremier 0E project - where everything unexpectedly exploded. I'll talk about that in the second part of this three-part saga.



No comments:

Post a Comment