Thursday, April 6, 2017

...a vasty place...

I started this thing called Avremier when I was about eleven. I am now forty-six. I don't like math - you do it.

"Avermier is a vasty place..."

Truer words, and all that. All those years do add up. I rarely throw out an idea if I can recycle or evolve it instead. The setting encompasses a world---a solar system---a core planar configuration---an expansive outer planar structure...

Add to that the fact I am known for my high level of detail. Probably not on the order of Forgotten Realms detail. After all, I've not been doing this quite as long...and I don't have lots of other writers contributing material...nor do I have publishers waiting to put everything I do into print...also, my setting doesn't have international legions of fans. Well, anyway. Avremier probably does have that order of detail - but I'm not publishing it. Much of that is for me - and my players.

Don't get me wrong, I want to share Avremier with the world. But, I want it to be YOUR Avremier. I'll publish whatever people want to see...but I won't push my vision upon anyone. Besides, I'm not the biggest fan of hyper-detailed campaign settings. World-building can be taken too far. Is Avremier a hyper-detailed setting? Yes. That's just how my mind works. After 35 years, you're gonna have a lot of detail. I never stop writing. Even so, I am extremely conscious of how much detail is really necessary to put into print.

That's one reason I decided to start out with the 0e rule set. Frameworks. Foundations. Outlines. Places for adventure to be presented and fleshed out as the Referee deems necessary. Shared settings where the players can contribute to the outcomes and outliers of the world in which they roam. A sandbox. So, there will be five books - to start. After that...I haven't decided. There is so much to share. I've been keeping most of it to myself all these years. Sharing Avremier out in carefully-plotted bits and hints. I want more. Many of you have asked for more. I have much more to give.

With that in mind, I'm going to get back to work on the Mauvolg supplement.

No comments:

Post a Comment